Monday, February 21, 2011

Bieber's Religious Fever

I stumbled upon an article on Justin Bieber in the religion section of USA Today online this afternoon.  The fact that this teen heartthrob (admittedly, his music is catchy, but I'm definitely not a crazed fan) was in the religion section of a major paper had me intrigued.  The article describes the religious undertones of Bieber's new big screen flick, and I applaud this.  My roommate who has seen this movie confirmed this articles claims saying that religion was definitely an undertone and not blaring obnoxious.  She also was surprisingly impressed and motivated by the movie.

But, back to religion.  I'm currently enrolled in a Sociology of Religion course, and I'm an active Episcopalian, so I find religion important.  But, I do not approve of people who push their religion on others.  The 1st Amendment protects our right to freedom of religion, and I believe that pushing religion on people does against this right.  Yes, you have the right to practice your religion.  Yes, you have the right to talk to others about it and even recruit new members.  But, no, you don't have the right to force religion on a captive audience.

Though, that's just my take, what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment