Thursday, June 16, 2011

On Loan

Student loans.  Two of the most dreaded words among college students and college graduates.  The cost of college is high these days, and only getting higher.  Even with scholarships, students and families oftentimes still don't have enough money to pay for tuition, books, housing, food, etc.  This results in student loans, which start to stack up quickly.  More colleges are starting to realize the burden of these loans, and are offering help to students for paying back these loans.  These colleges are especially focused on helping students in majors that benefit society, but will result in low salaries.

I'm impressed with the colleges that have these programs.  I personally have a pretty large sum of student loans, and am worried about repaying them.  My dad is a single parent, and even with all my academic scholarships, there is still not enough money.  On top of that, I'm studying journalism, which is not a high-pay career starting out.  Kudos to universities for encouraging students to pursue their passions without having to worry about how exactly they can afford to get ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know about student loans!! My total sum is crazy. My parents do not have money, so I had to work full time and get student loans for my college degree. I did get some grants and scholarships in the beginning. I'm still looking for a job. Either I am too educated for certain jobs or not educated enough. I'm ready for this economy to get back on its feet.
    Thanks for stopping by

    http://esmerlala30.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete