Thursday, April 14, 2011

Holy Confusion

Just about any Christian can tell you that Good Friday is the day Jesus was crucified on the cross, and he rose from his tomb three days later on Easter Sunday.  But, there have been debates over the phrasing "three days".  If Jesus died in the afternoon of Good Friday, and was risen by Sunday morning, how exactly does that equate to three days?  The answer comes from historians and theologians who have been wrestling with this question.  They say that "three days" is the length of time because of the way that people conceived of time back then, along with other plausible theories.

I had never really thought about this wording until I saw this article this morning, but once it was brought to my attention, I definitely had an "aha!" kind of moment.  I know this is the type of thing that non-Christians or atheists would use to attempt to poke holes in our faith, and I'm glad that some answers have been found to clarify the confusion.  Plus, I learned something new today, and that is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment