Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Internet Giant

I'm a journalism major.  Saying this out loud to myself or better yet, a room full of people can be quite intimidating.  I get asked what exactly I plan to do with my degree, since it appears to the naked eye that the journalism world is on its way out.  I always politely respond to people who question my decision, telling them about how I don't think journalism is quite dead and how my skills are applicable to many other jobs should I find otherwise.

Today's two articles both deal with this sensitive issue of the vitality of journalism in the face of the Internet and new media.

Journalism is ever expanding into the digital world, where the readers are.  Readers for the most part no longer flock to the print media, and we realize this, and are in the process of adapting & evolving to fit these new demands.

Though, the digital world presents a fair share of problems as well.  Including increased competition, which might very well bring an end to journalism as a serious profession.

I personally believe that journalism can and will survive, it is just going to morph into whatever form that the public demands and wants, and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment