Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Risky Punishment

Spanking.  It is a form of punishment that has been decreasing in popularity though the years.  I can personally only recall one time when I might have been spanked for something.  Instead, it was more common for me lose to privileges.  However, some schools still allow their teachers to spank misbehaving children.

This form of punishment in schools seems problematic to me.  Teachers could take it too far, not have legitimate reasons, etc.  Not to mention, this is not an effective way to punish kids, while it might cause physical pain and some humiliation, the punishment is generally not long lasting and does not reinforce the correct behavior.

So, I think that corporal punishment should be removed from schools, and other forms of punishment or reinforcement should be looked into.  What's your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment